GHSA Football Week 11 Preview - Game of the Week Carver-Atlanta vs Greater Atlanta Christian
1. The Carver-Atlanta Panthers will look to get one step closer to locking up at least the No. 2 seed for the playoffs when they face the Greater Atlanta Christian Spartans, who is still in the hunt for a final four position in the standings, so a win for them keeps their playoff hopes alive. As it sits today, the Spartans are currently in the fourth and finally position in the region standings, a game ahead of Salem, who they defeated 23-6 last week, and are in full control of their destiny.
Although the Spartans got off to a slow start at 0-4, they have battled through the last four games to a 3-1 record in those contest and for GAC head coach Tim Hardy, his young team has shown growth through the season, which has allowed them to position themselves for a post-season berth. “We’ve had some youth on the team, youth up front in some spots and when sophomores are playing seniors in August, that’s a real challenge,” Hardy said in an interview with Daminon Lewis
But as the Spartans prepare for a tough region match up with the Panthers, Hardy says that with his young players maturing as the season has progressed, despite the challenges they faced with a tough schedule, sticking together through it all has been a major factor. “Our guys have really remained together, remained unified and not point the figure, accept responsibility, and remained positive,” Hardy says has helped lead to the growth the Spartans have had down the stretch.
2. Important region match tonight between Banneker and Mundy’s Mill as the two battle for the final playoff spot out of their region. Tonight’s winner will get the fourth and final seed and the loser will see their season come to an end.
3. Creekside will look to remain unbeaten in region play as they take on Jonesboro, who has only one region loss and will to avenge their loss to Creekside last season. For Creekside, a win for them could potentially have them on a collision course with Woodward Academy for the region championship in the final game of the regular season. Woodward is also unbeaten in region play and will be in action against Tri Cities on Friday.
4. With only one region loss, Marietta is riding a two game win streak and will look to carry that momentum into their match up with North Cobb, who is undefeated in region play. North Cobb has been on a role, winning seven consecutive games after dropping their season opener to Buford back in August. If the Warriors pick up the win, they will claim the region championship.
5. Decatur will look to remain perfect on the season and unbeaten in region play when they face Southwest Dekalb, who has only one region loss this season. If Decatur picks up the win and St. Pius wins their match up on Friday with Stone Mountain on Friday, the two will meet in the final game of the regular season to determine the region champion.