GHSA Football State Playoffs Semifinals Breakdown
As the Georgia High School Association football state playoffs resume with the semifinals on Friday, Daminon and Junior Baker of New Level Recruiting breakdown a few of the match ups set to take place.
Norcross vs Grayson
- Norcross - Mason Kaplan 2 touchdowns (1 rushing, 1 passing) 39 passing yards on 8-12 vs Colquitt County. 161 team rushing yards. Held Colquitt to 7 points and Colquitt averaged 44 ppg up until that loss.
- Grayson – Garcia threw for 141 with 2 touchdowns and an interception in win over West Forsyth. Team rushing total 92 yards. Taylor (38 yards) and Downer (47 yards) each rushed for a TD. Biggest question mark will be Garcia. He struggled in the win against Harrison going 7-13 with in interception and no passing TD (1 rushing TD). Defense has 3 interceptions through the last three games (2 vs West Forsyth, 1 vs Tift).
Collins Hill vs Lowndes
- Collins Hill – Junior quarterback Sam Horn aired it out last week going 30-50 for 313 yards 1 TD and 1 Int. Eagles’ offense only had one yard on the ground. In the win over Denmark, the Eagles had 140 yards on the ground while Horn rushed for 68 of the those yards. Opening week, running back, Spencer Anderson rushed for 99 yards against Alpharetta as Horn threw for 288.
- Lowndes – Has a tough defense anchored by Thomas Davis (7 solo tackles in win over North Cobb). Picked off the last two quarterbacks.
Buford vs Valdosta
- Buford - Defense first. The 15 points allowed to Langston was the most they have given up all season in the games they won. They allowed 28 to North Cobb in that loss but let’s remember, that was their first game of the season.
- Valdosta – Despite the fact that they dealt with quarterback issues early in the season as Miami commit, Jake Garcia, who transferred from California, was ruled ineligible, the biggest concerns are the losses to Lowndes, Lee County and Colquitt County.
Westlake vs Lee County
- Lee County - Only loss came at the hands of Lowndes. In their 8 regular season wins they only allowed 8ppg. Offensively they have averaged almost 50ppg and over 40ppg the last four games.
- Westlake – Saw their lowest point total last week when they defeated Allatoona 27-24. But they have showed they can be more than explosive offensively as they have scored 50 plus points five times this season, once in the post season and 40 plus twice this post season. The Lions ground game will need to effective to help RJ open up in the air and connect with his very talented receiving core.