High School Hoops Big 3 Preview - Game of the Week Centennial vs Chattahoochie
Boys – All Saturday Games
1. Southwest Dekalb Panthers vs Lithonia Bulldogs - Southwest Dekalb will look to pick up a much needed win over Lithonia to guarantee themselves the fourth place position in the final region standings. The Panthers have won their last two games so they have a little momentum to go along with their motivation on Saturday. Lithonia can pretty much lock up the number two seed with a win and are coming off are coming off of a 21 point win over Decatur on Wednesday night.
2. Centennial Knights vs Chattahoochee Cougars - Centennial and Chattahoochee will face off in a potential battle for the number one seed in the region standings if both teams are victorious on Friday night. When the two teams met for the first half of their two game season series, it was the Cougars coming away with the 87-67 win. Since, the Knights have won eight straight games. On Friday, Centennial will face Sequoyah, who they squeaked by with a 61-56 win, so expect the Knights to have their hands full on Friday as well. Meanwhile, since their 20 point win over Centennial, the Chattahoochee has won six of their last seven games. Ironically, the one loss in the stretch was to Sequoyah.
3. Galloway Scots vs Providence Christian Storm Academy - If Galloway wins their Friday match up with Hebron Christian, they will face Providence Christian Academy on Saturday for the number one seed in the region. The Storm are currently riding a 10 game win streak, while the Scots are winners of seven in a row. Their previous streak was also seven straight before losing to Pace Academy 56-44.
Girls – All Friday Games
1. Parkview Panthers vs Grayson Rams - Parkview will look for redemption when they face Grayson on Friday. Grayson defeated Parkview 72-56 last Saturday and both teams are currently sitting behind region leader Brookwood with the Rams at 3-2 and the Panthers at 4-3. Both teams split their season series with the Broncos (6-2 in region), who has already completed their regular season, so a Parkview win would create a three way tie for first place. However, if the Rams complete their season series sweep over Parkview, they will secure second place in the region standings, while the Panthers would slip to a two way tie for third with Newton, who faces Grayson next Tuesday.
2. Wesleyan Wolves vs Galloway Scots - Wesleyan and Galloway will meet up for a battle to determine third and fourth place as both teams currently sit 2-2 in the standings. Both teams are coming off of losses, the Wolves a 56-46 loss to region leader, Hebron Christian, and Galloway a 75-58 to Holy Innocents, the region’s second place team. Friday’s winner will secure third in the region and the loser will take fourth.
3. Maynard Jackson looks to close out the regular season with a region win over Grady and remain in a two way tie for first with New Manchester. Jackson and New Manchester split their season series so if they both pick up wins on Friday, they will each end the regular season at 11-1 in the final regular season standings. However, if one should lose and the other wins, winner gets sole possession of first and loser sole possession of second.